BlackBerry is going to introduce the world with its first Android-powered slider smartphone, called BlackBerry Priv running on stock Android 5.1.1 Lollipop. Although the BlackBerry Priv went on pre-order in the U.S., Canada and UK last week. While the handset will come with Google’s Android OS on-board, has now released a number of new apps which will land on the BlackBerry Priv on Google Play.
The BlackBerry Priv is said to ship in the aforementioned countries starting November 6th. Apps that it is expected includes BlackBerry Priv Launcher, Keyboard, Camera and also adds DTEK security software that we heard about previously, alongside Password Keeper app and more.
The handset will come with an Octa-Core Snapdragon 810 processor, 3GB of RAM, and a screen-size of 5.4-inch Quad-HD with a resolution of 2560×1440 pixels. Other specifications on the BlackBerry Priv is equipped with slide-out QWERTY keyboard. Camera-wise, it has an 18MP rear sensor with a Schneider Kreuznach lens and the forward facing goes by a 5MP cam for selfies.
The BlackBerry Priv applications will only be available to download and install next month.
List of Apps for BlackBerry Priv on Google Play:
- BlackBerry Launcher – Easily turn multistep tasks such as sending an email or calling a friend into a one-click task.
- BlackBerry Keyboard – Quick and easy creation of text with the renowned BlackBerry Keyboard, featuring auto correction, next word prediction and a Personal Dictionary, More efficiency through learning and personalization.
- BlackBerry Services – BlackBerry Services is the foundation upon which all of your favorite BlackBerry applications are built. It provides both enhanced security and improved productivity.
- Password Keeper – Allows you to keep all of your passwords, login information, and important records safe and secure. Encrypted using AES-256 and protected by a single password of your choice.
- BlackBerry Camera – Includes professional settings that you can apply as you frame the scene, including live filter effects and exposure control.
- DTEK by BlackBerry – Allows you to view and improve your privacy level and monitor application access to your camera, microphone, location, and personal information.
Alongside BlackBerry, Motorola, HTC and other smartphone manufacturers are also releasing their own apps on Play Store, which will be very helpful to update, instead of pushing out a software Update for the phones.
Possibility there that BlackBerry will not stop with this single BB Priv smartphone based on Android, but in the future it is likely to release launchers and keyboard apps for other Android phones and these applications can also get ported to other smartphones very soon.
Mare sure to check our Android app zone to explore more apps for your Android device.
Update x1: The Content Transfer for BlackBerry app will allow users to switch to the new Priv by moving data that is saved on an old BlackBerry 10 device (running 10.2.1 and later).
“Data that is associated with a web-based account, such as contacts and calendar events, is transferred when you add the account to your new device. Your data can be transferred with password-protected encryption using Google Drive, your media card, or a private Wi-Fi network,” explains the app listing in the Store.