You can now download Android 8.0 Oreo Pixel Launcher 2.1 APK for any Android device. No root is required for this to work.
Google has a habit of keeping its launchers exclusive for its own devices. Earlier this week it has officially took the wraps off Android 8.0, now confirmed as being called Oreo. The Google Now Launcher was released for Nexus 5 for quite some time, and the Pixel Launcher is still only available on the Play Store to Pixel devices.
The modified Pixel Launcher APK was circulating about two months ago has now hit version 2.1, and it brings a ton of new things. Installing the APK off sites was an option, earlier, but not all of the features were intact.
As part of the new Android 8.0 Oreo update, there are all kinds of changes that those with Pixel and Nexus devices can look forward to trying out immediately. With a newly updated Pixel launcher being one of them, owners of the said devices can expect to witness as part of the Pixel Launcher update are relatively minor. Instead, the thing we want to focus on here today is that fact one Reddit user was able to take the now official release of Oreo and port Pixel Launcher out of it, making it possible for those with non-Pixel devices to install it.
Along with the actual port of the updated Pixel Launcher 2.1, you’ll find slight alterations that made such as the ability to swipe down to open the notification shade. So in effect this cross-device release is a better version of the Pixel Launcher than that one actual Pixels get to use. Go figure!
In fact, this modified Pixel launcher enabled features such as the Google Now pane (now called the Google feed), the G pill animation, and more. It made the launcher feel like it was tailored to your device.
Without further ado, here’s the list of new features:
- Pull down for notifications
- Oreo theme backported to older OS versions with Pixel Blue accent colour
- Notification dots backported to Marshmallow
- Automatically prompts for notification access so you won’t have to dig through settings menus
- Fix Android 8 checks so Nexus devices can use all new features
- Show icon shapes on Android 8 without developer settings enabled
- Pressing the date widget opens the default calendar app
- Keyboard properly closes when returning to the home screen from any app
- Symmetrical hotseat
- Filter Google Now Launcher from the apps list
- Pinch to overview
- Samsung Secure Folder compatibility
- Backport of circle icons
If you want to try the new Pixel Launcher out on your own device you can now do exactly that. You will need to do is download APK file and install it yourself, and of course need to go through the usual process and making sure your device is set up to allow apps to be installed from outside the Google Play Store.
You can download the APK from here. Good luck, and happy installing!
You may also like to check out: