To celebrate the release of Star Wars: The Force Awekens movie, Google has partnered with Lucasfilm and Disney and put together a set of skins for its apps which let you demonstrate your allegiance to choose either the light or the dark side of the Force. Users will begin to see their Google apps and services on the web, Android and iOS become more customized to reflect their pick.
For fans of Star Wars, themes released for all their apps and get corresponding skins for their choice. Google applications that are compatible with the themes are Gmail, Google app, YouTube, Google maps, Waze, Translate, Calendar, Chrome, Chromecast, Inbox and Android Wear.
In detail, the tweaks to apps of Google include new Gmail backgrounds, a YouTube progress that looks like a light saver, a Maps positions maker that resembles a TIE fighter or X-Wing, and a bunch more subtle tweaks in the rest oft-mentioned.
According to Google, it will take a few hours for all the changes to show up.
- A Star Wars-themed background and backdrop in Gmail and Chromecast, respectively
- Several Star Wars-related events add themselves to Google Calendar (easily deleted)
- An X-Wing becoming the icon that marks my current location when navigating and a Stormtrooper replacing the yellow pegman in Maps
- Downloading the Star Wars app will add a Star Wars watchface to your Android Wear watch
- Opening a new tab in Chrome displays full page themed wallpaper
- The progress bar in a YouTube video becomes a lightsaber and mousing over the volume icon causes a lightsaber sound
Some changes will only appear in the browser and when you are logged in with your Google account. What’s unfortunate is that, this will only work on personal accounts and not Google Apps for Work, Education or Government. Promises more Star Wars features between now and the opening night of The Force Awakens on December 18th.
Coming soon will be a virtual reality version of the Millennium Falcon within Google Cardboard and there are apparently several easter eggs in various Google products. Stay tuned!