South Korean Electronics Samsung is of course the world’s best leader in advanced memory technology, has took the opportunity to announce its now shipping the industry’s largest solod state drive (SSD) with a concrete capacity of 15.36-terabyte storage, called PM1633a.
In and for its enterprise segment, Samsung has introduced an all new 15.36TB SSD specifically to those enterprise customers systems. The Samsung PM1633a comes in a 2.5-inch form factor and can fit in twice as many of the things in a standard 19-inch, 2U rack, compared to an equivalent 3.5-inch storage drive. The 2.5-inch chassis equipped with a 12Gb/s Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) interface.
Samsung by far managed to integrate 15.36TB of storage into a single drive by combining 512 of its third-generation 256GB V-NAND flash memory chips, which are stacked in 16 layers to form a single 512MB package, with a total of 32 NAND flash packs compresing the 15.36TB SSD. According to Samsung, it rates the PM1533a SSD’s random read and write speeds at up to 200,00 and 32,000 IOPS, respectively, along with sequential read and write speeds of up to 1,200MB/s and that could eventually gives a performance bump over the drive’s predecessor as well.
In terms of reliability, Samsung says its 15.36TB mammoth supports 1 DWPD, or drive write per day, which all be means, also boasts a metadata protection mechanism in addition to featuring a data protection and restoration software kit in case of a quick power outage. Performance, aided by the inclusion of 16GB of DRAM, which is an advanced controller unit that supports 12Gb/s SAS inerface, and the whole package is a specially designed firmware that allows the drive to access larger amounts of HD NAND flash concurrently.
If you think 15.36TB is much more enough, Samsung is also offering the MP1633a SSD line in 7.68TB, 3.84TB, 1.92TB, 960GB, and 480GB later this year.
Samsung PM1633 15.36TB SSD Hardware – Highlights:
- Enabled by combining 512 of Samsung’s 256Gb V-NAND memory chips, stacked in 16 layers to form a single 512GB package, with a total of 32 NAND flash packages in the 15.36TB drive
- 3rd-gen Samsung 256-gigabit (Gb) V-NAND technology stacks cell-arrays in 48 layers providing significant performance and reliability upgrades from PM1633
- Sports random read and write speeds of up to 200,000 and 32,000 IOPS respectively, and delivers sequential read and write speeds of up to 1,200MB/s.
- Random read IOPS performance is approximately 1,000 times that of SAS-type hard disks, while the sequential read and write speeds are over twice those of a typical SATA SSD.
- Samsung’s advanced controller units support the 12Gb/s SAS interface, along with a total of 16GB of DRAM.
- Supports 1 DWPD (drive writes per day), so 15.36TB of data can be written every day on this single drive without failure
- Boasts a highly dependable metadata protection mechanism in addition to featuring a data protection and restoration software tool in case of a momentary blackout
Currently, Samsung 15.36TB SSD is although shipping for enterprise systems worldwide and the later mentioned storage capacities will hit the shelves for the same customers in 2016 fall.