It just happened right after Ian Beer’s iOS 11.3.1 jailbreak exploit for Electra was released. Taken action by Abraham Masri, the first individual involved in the jailbreak scene to tip his hat just after the release of Google’s Project Zero developer Ian Beer exploit.
Masri has indeed released Houdini semi-jailbreak beta 3 into the wild that comes with new firmware support up to iOS 11.3.1 with Cydia activated.
Houdini is by no means new to the world of jailbreakers and the jailbreaking community. It’s utterly been around for a while offering a semi-jailbreak experience which allows device owners to get access to certain features and functionality that would otherwise not be available on a stock version of device running a stock Apple-supplied iOS firmware.
It’s worth reiterating the fact that Houdini is not a fully loaded jailbreak experience like Electra. Houdini semi-jailbreak is something that won’t entirely open the device up for the installation of Cydia and other jailbreak tweaks and packages which require Substrate or Substrate to be installed on the jailbroken device.
Now, it is, however, a fun installation which offers some great positives.
With the release of Houdini beta 3 – is available to download with immediate effect – it’s not just supported for iOS 11.2 through iOS 11.3.1 which has made an appearance. New support for Home and Lock screen widgets has also been included as well. Themes have also been updated and re-enabled in this version, although, by the developer’s own admission they are only partially working.
It is immediately also possible to customize the iOS 11 Control Center and disable system-wide updates if necessary. The full Houdini beta 3 changelog is as follows:
– Support for iOS 11.2 to 11.3.1 (thanks to Ian Beer)
– Home and lock screen widgets (temporarily disabled)
– Added Passcode customization in iOS 11 (with new features included)
– Re-enabled themes in iOS 11 (partially works)
– Added customizable icons
– Customize iOS 11 Control Center
– Option to disable system updates
– Option to remove Houdini (stock iOS)
– Faster startup time
– UI Changes and bug fixes
– Cleaner code base
Houdini is never going to scratch or itch of individuals who crave a full jailbreak experience, which includes Cydia and all associated things such as full read/write access and the installation of their favorite tweaks and packages. With the exploit now out and an Electra update on the horizon, this release of Houdini can be a great stop-gap to entertain those who are waiting patiently for CoolStar to do what he needs to do to get Electra ready.
If you are bloated for Houdini, then you can grab the latest and greatest beta 3 version of it right now over at iabem97.github.io/houdini_website/.
Not running iOS 11.3.1? No worry! Luckily, Apple is still signing the older firmware, meaning that you can downgrade it to enjoy Houdini now, and the Electra jailbreak (when released) later. Learn more about how you can downgrade to iOS 11.3.1 here.
Stay tuned for more:
- iOS 11.3.1 Jailbreak Exploit For Electra Released By Google’s Ian Beer
- 101+ iOS 12 Hidden Features Discovered For iPhone and iPad [Running List]
- iOS 12 Beta 1 Release Notes, Changes, Known Issues According To Apple
- Download iOS 12 Beta OTA Configuration Profile File Without Developer Account
- Download iOS 12 Beta 1 IPSW Links & Install On iPhone X, 8, 7, Plus, 6s, 6, SE, 5s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]
- iOS 12 Beta Compatibility List For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Devices
- iOS 12 Beta 1 Download IPSW Links, OTA Update For iPhone And iPad
- How To Downgrade iOS 12 Beta To iOS 11.4 [Tutorial]