The newly launched Google Nexus 6 runs Android 5.0 Lollipop out of the box and already started rolling out the update to its predecessor versions of Nexus smartphones and Google Play Editions from Sony, HTC and Samsung. Now, it looks like the next in the scene would be the Android Wear smartwatches to receive the latest Android 5.0 version of update.
According to the recent report that surfaced suggesting that Google will be rolling out Android 5.0 Lollipop update to Android Wear-powered smartwatch’s today. However, the update won’t be getting any huge change to Android Wear wearable though, but the Lollipop update will bring new features to the smartwatches, such as new battery and storage information in the companion app, the ability to recover dismissed cards, new brightness toggles and tweaked options for the visually impaired etc.
Talking about “OK Google” actions menu, will be reordered based o usage and brings new APIs that will eventually allow displaying weather info on any watch face. While the Android 5.0.1 update might also improve the battery life issues for some Android Wear smartwatches as well.
This is what the first official Lollipop release of Android Wear gets:
- Battery and Storage information in the companion app
- New watch faces (with ability to switch between watch faces via the companion app) and new APIs for displaying weather icons on any watch face
- The Moto 360 watch face pictured above was passed over to Derek Ross by a reliable source, as per this Android Forums thread. We may or may not see it on Motorola’s smart watch alongside the other new rumored watch faces.
- The ability to recover dismissed cards
- New quick screen brightness toggles (regular, theater mode and sunlight mode)
- New options for the visual impaired, including text size, color-blind options and magnification
- OK Google will reorder actions based on your previous activity for a smarter, easier experience
Officially, Google haven’t revealed any information regarding the Android Wear Lollipop update. But it is expected to push the Android 5.0.1 update pretty soon. Stay tuned!