Apps from Apple for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch costs more than enough when compared to the Google Play Store apps for Android operating system, which is why iOS apps gains huge revenue shares and almost as low as when compared to Android app downloads. Confused! Not to be, becuase it depends on your prespective, and no one does an app market overview better than App Annie’s annual app retrospective. Report for the 2015 app downloads and profits winners is here, and what it actually matters in category? Which platform gained most installs? Highest revenue and fastest growth? Everything has been described. Take a look at it!
When compared, in some places there are no surprises. As Google Play leads more significantly Android apps downloads and installs than iOS double the numbers, but where Apple had 70% more iOS app revenue than the open-source platform. What’s next! Finally Android although had the numbers of app installs and Apple has the profit.
You can find all kinds of interesting things when you drill the numbers down a little, below.
1. iOS App installation numbers have stagnated over the past two years, with 2015’s install figures almost identical to 2014 and 13.
2. In United States, Google Play Android app downloads leads iOS installs in every quarter, as you can except it.
3. Globally, Android increased its lead in numbers of app installs from 60% more than iOS in 2014 to 100% more in 2015.
Despite not gaining any more iOS app downloads and installs, Apple however has managed to significantly increase the amount of budget it made from the same number of installs. Doubled its iOS app revenue in the last two years without even generating any more app installs, which either means that Apple has generated double as much money out of the same sized resource, as you know by now, why and how.
Android, on the either hand, has almost doubled its app install numbers in the last two years and more than doubled its revenue, but not much larger than iOS. Android app downloads still earned only a little over an half as much money. Reason behind this is that Apple users pay more than what they pay for Android apps to download and install. While Android users is growing rapidly, than those users tend not to pay for apps, but it’s not the case for iOS app payments.
Revenue growth of Android over the last year has slowed a little, whereas iOS’s had held strong. The large part of revenue comes from China, which is a huge market for Apple in 2015. Chinese iPhone 6, 6s and 6s Plus users doubled its spending on iOS apps in 2015 and accounted for the third most valuable market for iOS app downloads after the US and Japan.
Wait! At the same time China, the largest downloader of iOS apps in 2015 and US installs decreased steadily throughout the year. On the Android base, emerging markets were the biggest growth areas of Google. With Brazil, Indonesia, India, Mexico and Turkey played a responsible game for almost half and made the incraese in Android app downloads and installs compared to the year prior.
Games on Google Play Store, were the big earners for Android users and of course on iTunes App Store for iPhones and iPads, with games accounting almost 90% of Androd app revenue and 75% of iOS app money.
Conclusion here is that, we can put Apple’s revenue growth to China, and also make the rather obvious observation that Google Play is not yet in China. Point to be noted and that is if Android apps are available in China’s Google Play, the install numbers of apps will soar but the revenue won’t. Because, the Apple’s “30% of Android switchers” didn’t come from the US, where Android installs are actually on rise compared to iOS.
App Annie 2015 Retrsopective Report Highlights:
- Emerging markets showed impressive download and revenue growth, particularly in India, Indonesia, Mexico, Turkey and Vietnam as device penetration soared.
- In-app purchases (IAPs) as a share of app store revenue continued to grow in 2015 as subscription revenue made incredible gains, thanks to strong demand for video, music and dating apps.
- Mobile games continue to evolve; in 2015 revenue became less concentrated while average lifecycle shortened year over year — these two developments will have a significant impact on app publishers’ portfolio management strategy.
- Wearables and TV emerged as key platforms for apps, presenting new opportunities for publishers. This will be a space to watch in the coming years.
Learn more by visiting the actual slot here. While it has to be ticked whether Apple continues to take its winning to the bank, or Google Play owns the future, is to be seen. Stay tuned!
You may also like to check out: Google Play Store List Shows Best Android Games And Apps Of 2015, And for: Best of 2015 on the Indian Play Store.
Make sure to check out our Android Apps arena to explore more apps for your Android device.