With the new optical trackpad the BlackBerry Classic has been teased quite a few times throughout the last few weeks. Went on pre-order campaign even kicked off weeks before the prime time, for $449. Now that the wait is over though, as the BlackBerry officially announced and launched.
The Classic has a throwback look as its names alludes, with a full QWERTY physical keyboard, physical navigation keys, the BlackBerry Classic is the spiritual successor of the best selling BlackBerry Bold 9900. With the menu and back buttons, start/end phone buttons, this new Classic is significantly smaller than the BB Passport. BlackBerry says this Classic phone will appeal to those looking for the traditional experience that made those devices so popular many years ago.
The BlackBerry Classic has square 3.5-inch (720×720 pixels) touchscreen and smaller than the Passport with 4.5-inch display, covered with a Gorilla Glass 3 piece and runs on a dual-core 1.5GHz processor and 2GB of RAM (same as BlackBerry Z10). The rest of the specs include 16GB expandable storage (microSD cards up to 128GB), 8MP rear cam with a LED flash, and a 2MP front snapper.
About the BlackBerry Classic key features, it has a 35-key QWERTY physical backlit keyboard with wider layout and larger sculpted keys and navigation keys and with the return of the traditional control deck revolving around a squarish trackpad. Running on the latest BlackBerry 10.3 OS, the Classic supports native Android apps via the Amazon Appstore. BlackBerry Classic is backed up by 2515mAh battery promises of up to 22 hours of mixed battery life.
Already on pre-order last month for US$449 / CA$499 / 349 GBP / 429 Euros in the US, Canada, UK, France and Germany and will be shipped by next week. BlackBerry Classic will be available as of today worldwide. The contract-free Classic will set you back $449 in the USA. AT&T has also committed to offering the device and Verizon have confirmed they will sell the device in 2015, though carrier pricing has yet to be announced.
BlackBerry Classic Specifications Goes with
- 3.5” diagonal (720 x 720 pixels) 294 PPI multi-touch display with Corning Gorilla Glass protection
- 1.5 GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4 (MSM 8960) processor with Adreno 225 GPU
- 2GB RAM, 16GB internal memory, Expandable memory up to 128GB with microSD
- BlackBerry OS 10.3.1
- 8MP Auto-Focus rear camera with BSI sensor, 5-element f2.2 lens, LED Flash 1080p HD video recording at 30fps
- 2MP Fixed-Focus front-facing camera with 720p HD video recording
- Dimensions: 131 x 72.4 x 10.2 mm; Weight: 178g
- 3.5mm audio jack, FM Radio
- 4G LTE, WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 4.0 LE, SlimPort, NFC, GPS + GLONASS
- 2515 mAh integrated non-removable battery
Note: The unlocked BlackBerry Classic is available through the official website and Amazon’s online stores and new orders will ship over the coming weeks, since there is huge demand, says BlackBerry.