The 2015 year is coming to an end and Samsung‘s Galaxy S7 is expected to be announced during Q1 of 2016 and the leaks that shows up its sneaky strategy though. Flagship smartphone from Samsung will be under a huge amount of pressure to perform. Not only does it have to impress the markets that a Samsung flagship is a worthy choice as the ‘top’ Android powered phone, but it should also have to revive the flagging fortunes of the SK mobile department. From the past announcement made by Samsung for Galaxy S6 in April, but not this time, rather a couple of months early. Leaked images from an internal presentation show the Galaxy S7 is scheduled to go on sale in February.
Speculations over the last few months about the Galaxy S7 launch has seen many. Traditionally the Galaxy S handsets have been announced just before the annual Mobile World Congress keynote in Barcelona, before that going to on sale in April. Next year’s MWC will be held between February 22nd to 25th, so the release of the handset is a sound strategic move and the natural window for the unveil would start on Friday February 19th, 2016.
It now looks like Samsung are going to pull the same trick with the launch of the Galaxy S7. Recent reports have their own date of the Galaxy S7 announcement happening much earlier than previous years. There could be a huge rush of consumer electronics news that comes out of CES between Jan. 6th to 9th 2016. Any announcement by Samsung in there would run the risk of being lost in a sheen of drones, VR gear, and the ubiquitous internet-connected fridge.
Ties into the release dates that have been discussed for the Galaxy S7, which also covers China Mobile’s presentation of its upcoming release schedule which has the Galaxy S7 going on sale in February. Unfortunately, it doesn’t fit with a pre-MWC schedule, but it does fit with a post-CES schedule. The slide reveals an accelerated release for the Galaxy S7 and though presumably the S7 Edge and huge Galaxy S7 Plus going on sale in February.
Launch of the Galaxy S7 would give it a 7 month head start over the expected September release of the radical iPhone 7. Interestingly Samsung also looks set to be stockpiling for the February 2016 launch with no less than three different Galaxy S7 designs. How far it goes to capture customers is to be seen. Especially if the Galaxy S7 Edge+ and Galaxy Note 6 further complicate things later in the year. China Mobile will also be getting the Huawei Mate 8 and the ZTE Axon Mini during this date range.
These specifications are by no means guaranteed to be accurate, and should be taken with a grain of salt.
• Dimensions: 143.4 x 70.8 x 6.9mm (5.65 x 2.79 x 0.27-inch)
• Display: 5.1-inch Super-AMOLED with 1440 x 2650 pixel resolution (that’s Quad HD, or 2K)
• Operating System: Android 6.0 Marshmallow
• Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 820, Samsung Exynos 8890 (octa-core)
• RAM: 4GB RAM
• Camera: 20MP back-facing camera – similar to Sony Xperia Z5, with 4K video recording abilities, dual-LED flash *downgraded from our last report, which suggested 25MP
• Front-facing camera: 8-megapixel (similar to this year’s model)
• Battery: 3,500mAh (guesstimate based on historical precedent)
• Internal Storage: 16, 32, 64GB, microSD card slot for storage expansion
• Special Features: Fingerprint scanner, Force Touch pressure-sensitive panel (under display), Corning Gorilla Glass 5 front and back panels
The design of the Samsung Galaxy S7 has been tipped more than once to be very, very similar to that of the Galaxy S6. Expect a similar, glass and metal design with advanced innards – and maybe even a better camera, to boot.