WhatsApp has announced the discontinuation of its services for older smartphones by the end of 2016. Encrypted Messenger WhatsApp first took its big move on the last day of February, and it now seems the move will not fully take place before the last of the year as originally promised. The Facebook-owned company has updated its original post about the end of WhatsApp support on several older mobile software platforms. Here are the details.
In a technology upgrade, WhatsApp planned to phase out compatibility with older phones as they plan to focus on the mobile platforms that vast majority of people use. “While these mobile devices have been an important part of our story, they do not offer the kind of capabilities we need to expand our app’s features in the future,” said a WhatsApp spokesperson.
If you are been using Nokia S40, a Symbian S60 or a BlacklBerry OS (including BB10) device, fret a little less – WhatsApp will continue support for your device through June 30, 2017. Those smartphones running on Android earlier than 2.3 Gingerbread will still be locked at the end of this year. Windows Phone 7 and iOS 6 users will also find the same to happen, locked. What should you do then, as per the company, advising you upgrade your phone to support WhatsApp Web and its cross-platform messaging service.
These are those mobile platforms that would not be supported by WhatsApp in 2017 are:
– Android : Android 2.1 and Android 2.2
– Windows : Windows Phone 7
– iPhone: 3GS/ iOS 6
App support will be extended for the following devices until June 2017:
– Blackberry 10 running on BBOS
– Nokia S40 running on Symbian S40
Android users don’t need to worry as its platform-based smartphone nevertheless gets support for WhatsApp in most of the ways.
You might also like to check out:
- WhatsApp Video Call Feature On iOS, Android, Windows 10 Mobile Updates, Details Here
- WhatsApp For Android And Windows Phone Beta Gets Two-Step Verification
- WhatsApp For iOS Now Lets You Send Live Photos And Videos As GIFs, Here’s How [Guide]
- WhatsApp Video Call Update For Android: Download 2.16.318 To Enable The Feature