Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ is now official. Here are its specs, price, release date info. In brief, here’s everything about the Samsung‘s 2017 flagships.
After numerous rumors and speculations, Samsung has finally used its dedicated media event to officially unveil the Galaxy S8 / S8+ hardware. Announced Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ smartphones at its New York Unpacked keynote. Detailing a new flagship, Samsung has not only revealed latest device, but also innovates in key areas which will undoubtedly pack pressure on its rivals. Carry on reading to learn all about the two new devices.
Features / Specs:
From a features and specifications perspective, anyone who keeps an eye on leaks and hardware speculation will already likely have a fairly good idea of the device and its key features. Samsung has extended the stunning display to cover almost the entire front of the device, also kept that curvature around the right and left side of the handset. While when Apple has its Retina HD display for iPhone, Samsung now has its own kind of initiative, named Infinity Display, designed to trick the eye into thinking that it ships with no bezels whatsoever, but which also forces the removal of the physical button. It also offers haptic feedback like iPhone, offering virtual feeling of pressing a Home button when pressed on a specific spot where the software home button appears.
Samsung is also insisting that the hardware will deliver incredible performance by featuring the industry’s first 10nm processor, which should be notable for its “heightened speed and efficiency.” Both the S8 and S8+ are LTE gigabit and Wi-Fi capable, offering download speeds of up to 1Gbpsm which nevertheless, fits in perfectly with the fact that the new Samsung hardware is the first mobile device to be certified by the UHD Alliance as MOBILE HDR PREMIUMTM. That basically means that consuming movies and TV shows on the device should give yu the exact same color experience as filmmakers intended when making content.
The two Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ devices launches with its own Apple Siri rival called Bixby. Potential consumers will also get everything they expect from a galaxy device, such as IP68 water and dust resistance, MicroSD card support offering expandable storage by an additional 256GB, an always-on display, and wireless charging. Devices launched today will ship with Android 7.0 pre-installed with Samsung skin running on top and of course the all new Samsung’s own virtual assistant (Bixby), offer 4GB of RAM, with the S8 offering a 5.8-inch display and the S8+ taking things up a notch with a 6.2-inch display – with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection on the front and the back. Battery life shouldn’t be an issue with 3,000mAh and 3500mAh cells. On the photography department, both devices will offer a Dual Pixel 12-megapixel rear system, which is basically same as S7’s camera, and 8MP front facing camera.
Both S8 and S8+ from Samsung also features fingerprint reader (this time on the back of the device), iris and facial recognition system on the tow. For full official specs of both the devices:
Existence of the two new Samsung smartphones unlocks the Gear VR Controller, which is powered by Oculus, and enables users to have better motion interaction when interacting with virtual reality-based content. Has also introduced Samsung Connect alongside the devices to ensure that consumers have a seamless experience when connecting to and managing smart devices. Another product is the Samsung DeX doc accessory which, like Microsoft’s Continuum feature, turns the new Samsung smartphones into desktop computers, when connected to external displays.
Samsung is also releasing a new range of case accessories for both S8 and S8+. No mention on a 6GB RAM variant with 128GB storage model, it is expected to be released in select markets, such as China?
Both the Galaxy S8 and S8+ will become available for pre-order starting tomorrow, March 30th. As an additional offering, pre-order consumers will also get a free Oculus headset and controller. Official release and shipping date is April 21st.
As for pricing, it’s $750 for 64GB Galaxy S8, and $850 for 64GB Galaxy S8+. Both phones will be available in Midnight Black, Orchid Gray, Arctic Silver, Maple Gold and Coral Blue colors.
- S8 – 5.8-inch Quad HD+ (2960 × 1440 pixels) Super AMOLED Infinity display with 570ppi, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- S8+ – 6.2-inch Quad HD+ (2960 × 1440 pixels) Super AMOLED Infinity display with 529ppi, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 with Adreno 540 GPU / Octa-Core Samsung Exynos 9 Series 8895 processor with Mali-G71 MP20 GPU
- 4GB LPDDR4 RAM with 64GB storage (UFS 2.1), 6GB LPDDR4 RAM with 128GB storage (UFS 2.1), expandable memory via microSD
- Android 7.0 Nougat plus Samsung skin
- Single / Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- 12MP Dual Pixel rear camera with LED Flash, f/1.7 aperture, 1/2.55″ sensor size, OIS, 1.4µm pixel size
- 8MP auto focus front-facing camera with f/1.7 aperture, 1/3.6″ sensor size, 1.22µm pixel size, 80-degree wide-angle lens
- Water and dust resistant (IP68)
- Ultra High Quality Audio Playback – PCM: Up to 32 bits; DSD: DSD64/128
- Sensors – Accelerometer, Barometer, Fingerprint Sensor, Gyro Sensor, Geomagnetic Sensor, Hall Sensor, Heart Rate Sensor, Proximity Sensor, RGB Light Sensor, Iris Sensor, Pressure Sensor
- S8 – Dimensions: 148.9 x 68.1 x 8.0mm; Weight: 152g
- S8+ – Dimensions: 159.5 x 73.4 x 8.1mm; Weight: 173g
- 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac (2.4/5GHz), VHT80 MU-MIMO, Bluetooth v 5.0 (LE up to 2Mbps), GPS with GLONASS, USB 2.0, NFC, MST
- S8 – 3000mAh battery with fast Charging both on wired and wireless (WPC and PMA) charging
- S8+ – 3500mAh battery with fast Charging both on wired and wireless (WPC and PMA) charging
Note: Both the Galaxy S8 and the Galaxy S8+ might vary depending on the U.S. carrier, which also comes with earphones tuned by AKG by Harman, that’s available separately for $99.