You read it right. If the chaos in the world of iOS jailbreaking is anything to go beyond, and uncertainty is enough to bring you out in hives then you best keep your eyes out of the PlayStation 4 jailbreak scene. With that said, things are hotting up with the confirmation that firmware version 5.05 is vulnerable to a discovered WebKit exploit.
A developer named AlexZzZ in the community has discovered the exploit in version 5.01 of Sony’s PlayStation 4 firmware.
It’s now coming out hot on the heels as a full jailbreak release for PS4s running firmware version 4.55. Immediately, it has catapulted global attention onto the PlayStation jailbreak community. The likes of which hasn’t seen since the George Hotz-versus-Sony PS3 fiasco many years. Today, with those eyes watching, this new user mode exploit discovered in WebKit gives the community one of the two exploits needed to workout together for a full jailbreak solution PlayStation 4 need on that particular firmware version.
Interestingly, the discovered WebKit vulnerability is the exact same exploit which has recently been publicized and used by Team Restwitched to bring homebrew capabilities to the notorious Nintendo Switch hardware, from 8Bitdo. It’s highly likely that the work carried out on that project technically has been the impression for porting the vulnerability across the PlayStation 4.
Although this doesn’t exactly give us a jailbreak for PlayStation 4 running firmware version 5.05 yet, nevertheless, is essentially one of the core components needed before one can be produced in future. If someone could find everything in the kernel-level vulnerability, which can also be exploited to give privilege escalation then it’s most probably possible that we can certainly see something grow from this discovery.
Individuals, who are interested in the PlayStation from a security perspective and want to learn more about this WebKit vulnerability CVE-2017-7005, then it’s time to find out information and proof-of-concept project over at GitHub.
No idea, as it’s currently unknown when this will actually progress into anything usable from a public PlayStation 4 ownership perspective. But again, for security researchers and other interested modified parties, it’s highly interesting topic.
You may also like to check out:
- iOS 12 Concept Reveals New Lock Screen, Guest Mode, Split View On iPhone, More
- Substitute 0.0.5 ForiOS 11 Electra Jailbreak Cydia Alternative Released
- Best Cydia Repos / Sources For iOS 11 Jailbreak Electra [2018 Edition]
- iOS 11.1.2 Jailbreak Tweaks Cydia Compatibility List For Electra
- How To Downgrade iOS 11.2.6 On iPhone, iPad, iPod touch The Easy Way
- iOS 11.2.6 Release Notes, Changes, Security Content: Everything You Need To Know
- Jailbreak iOS 11.2.6 / 11.2.5 / 11.2.2 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]
- Jailbreak iOS 11 / 11.1.2 On iPhone X, 8, 7, iPad Using Electra or LiberiOS [Updated]