What we have here are iOS 11.2.2 release notes, changes, security content details alongside changelog information. As you are now able to download iOS 11.2.2 OTA update for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices. But the new release comes in the wake of Meltdown and Spectre CPU exploits, and instantly continues the progress of the iOS 11 firmware.
iOS 11.2.2 includes security improvements to Safari and WebKit to migrate the effects of Spectre (CVE-2017-5753 and CVE-2017-5715), accordingly. And Apple had a frantic period of time pulling together and releasing iOS 11.2 and iOS 11.2.1, released ahead of schedule due to the nature of the patches and vulnerability fixes contained within.
Before the release of iOS 11.2.2, which many in the testing community would have expected as the next release, but blindsided by the fact that they jumped straight to iOS 11.2.5 betas. Nevertheless, today’s iOS 11.2.2 update being rolled out ahead of iOS 11.2.5 (still in beta state), we now know why the company kept 11.2.2, 2.3, 2.4 – for emergency fixes like this one!
Apple has bundled with release notes which each device owner can take into consideration before opting to download and install iOS 11.2.2 onto their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
iOS 11.2.2 provides a security update and is recommended for all users.
While Apple’s security content page highlights “security update” in changelog means, with it detailing that this release patches Spectre CPU vulnerability.
Available for: iPhone 5s and later, iPad Air and later, and iPod touch 6th generation
Description: iOS 11.2.2 includes security improvements to Safari and WebKit to mitigate the effects of Spectre (CVE-2017-5753 and CVE-2017-5715).
For now, iOS 11.2.2 is very much a minor point update which addresses a very important security issue. iOS 11.2.2 exists to provide security protection against the aforementioned vulnerability on compatible devices.
You may also like to check out:
- Download iOS 11.2.2 IPSW Links And OTA For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch
- Saurik Gives Progress Update For Substrate Compatibility For iOS 11 / 11.1.2 Jailbreak With Cydia
- Meet Doogee V: An iPhone X, Galaxy S9 Clone With In-Display Fingerprint Reader
- iOS 11.2.5 Beta 3 IPSW / OTA Download Released, Here Are The Details
- Set Custom Boot Logo On iOS 11 / 11.1.2 iPhone Without Jailbreak, Here’s How
- Jailbreak iOS 11 / 11.1.2 Using LiberiOS, Here’s How [Tutorial]
- Jailbreak 11.2.1 / 11.2/ 11.2.5 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]
- Downgrade iOS 11 / 11.2.1 To 11.1.2 On iPhone Or iPad [How-To Guide]
- Jailbreak iOS 11 / 11.1.2 On iPhone X, 8, 7, iPad Using LiberiOS [Updated]