Xiaomi Mi fans here what Xiaomi introduced with the new custom OS – MIUI 8, which was released as a beta version alongside Mi Max. Launched alongside its 6.44-inch phablet, Xiaomi’s first smartphone to launch with MIUI 8 power. Mi Max is a beast announced with a bigger battery 4850mAh and of course larger-screen size as well. You can get full details on what Xiaomi Mi Max featuring from here.
At its launch event today in Beijing, Xiaomi started that over 200 million Mi users worldwide now have devices running MIUI. Fortunately, the interest for the latest version is high and the good news here is the update MIUI 8 software version is quite substantial now.
What’s new in MIUI 8
Visually, Xiaomi’s MIUI 8 sports a palette of bold new colors, but the general appearance of the user interface remains familiar, which purely based on Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
New MIUI 8 custom skin brings with it new features, including fonts. Tested is rendered in a new font in MIUI 8; dubbed Mi Lanting, that family (including Latin and Chinese scripts) is certainly designed to be highly legible even after spending few hours starting at the screen.
Two new features introduced with MIUI 8 launch, one to improve battery life – Power Saving Mode, that freezes background apps and tasks in order to keep the phone running for as long as possible. Second is, users will be able to select which apps they want to load at startup, that should improve performance, in addition to prolonging battery life.
Xiaomi phones running MIUI 8 will highlight messages that could be spam or other suspicious activities, including fraud. With MIUI 8, users will also get a revamped Notes app, which can now be more secured via password or fingerprints. Users can pick from a varieity of templates to create and share notes, even when browsing, which also received a makeover.
Rest of MIUI 8 specifications includes an improved calculator and convertor app, and a product and barcode scanner that lets you check out products in store and search or buy them directly from your Xiaomi device. New version of MIUI 8 features also has one addition, that’s a math problem solving app; users can scan a, say, geometry problem, and get a solution complete with step-by-step guides. Theoretically, this sounds great and amazing, but we have to wonder just effective – or appropriate – how well this functionality will be.
Xiaomi mobiles radically use extremely powerful cameras and MIUI 8 brings enhancements to the Gallery app, comes preloaded on them. Officially, these includes new share controls, multiple photo selection, and support for various doodles and stickers. MIUI 8 Themes, when taking them, will get more unique skin packs in a daily basis.
Video edition with MIUI 8, Xiaomi made it more substantial and been improved overall performance, the gallery app is said to be more storage efficient. MIUI 8 will definitely make its way into devices including Xiaomi Mi2, Mi 2S, Mi3, Mi4, Mi 4C, Mi 4S and the newly launched and available to purchase Mi5 and Mi Note.
MIUI 8 Features
- Redesigned colors: New colors that also changes according to the weather change.
- New Mi Lanting Chinese font: Offers a better mobile reading experience
- Wallpaper Carousel: Sends beautiful images to your lock screen daily. option to select from over 12 image categories
- New Gallery: 90% more space efficient, quick share controls by swiping up, doodle on drawings, video editing with cropping, adding filters, captions and music
- New Notes: Passcode and fingerprint security, beautiful templates for sharing and grid view for better navigation
- Scanner: Generate Wechat/Alipay QR codes, snap and shop on Taobao, solve math problems.
- New Calculator: Advanced calculations and conversions
- Detects scam and fraudulent messages
- Multi-Window management
- Power saving mode: Freezes background app activity, suspends syncs, updates and background tasks
- Limits chain start-ups: Prevents unessential apps from starting up, reduces lags and power consumption
The Xiaomi will be making available to download MIUI 8 Developer ROMs from June 17th in China. Beta testing begins from June 1st. Registrations for beta testing begins May 16th, more devices will be added soon. Xiaomi promises to roll out details on MIUI 8 global ROM in the coming days or weeks.
You may also like to check out:
- Global Themes: Top 10 Best Features Of MIUI 7 Revealed [Images]
- Stable MIUI 7.2 ROM Hits Second Batch Of Xiaomi Redmi And Mi Devices In China
- Xiaomi MIUI 7.1 Global Stable ROM Build Begins Rolling Out For Redmi And Mi Phones