Here’s a simple step-by-step guide on how to use VPN on an Apple TV set-top box without any hacks.
In order to enjoy the very best of what the cinema has to offer, you can bring all that magic with the help of Apple TV or Apple TV 4K. The Apple’s set-top box is portable and is equipped to entertain users with its massive library of video-on-demand movies and videos.
To improve your experience, there is a better way that you should buy a VPN account, and set it up on either a router or computer. Once done, you can easily connect your Apple TV for a streaming experience unlike any other.
If and if you own Apple TV or TV 4K and regularly use streaming add-ons through platforms like Kodi, or access content through Netflix or Hulu, then, you might really want to ensure that you have a VPN set on the device.
And yes, it’s easier than you might think to use a VPN on Apple TV. VPNs are nowadays becoming common technology, from being used on phones and Macs to protect online activity from being used on streaming devices like the Apple TV to access geo-blocked video content.
Unfortunately, Apple hasn’t put tvOS into a position where VPNs can be put in place natively. And some people may not even know or aware of VPNs or their importance but when accessing the content of this type it can be extremely important to implement a VPN in order to protect the security and privacy of the user device.
First Recommended Option: Get VPN Router
The most important thing you need is a VPN router, which actually supports the setting up of a VPN on that hardware. This might be somewhat expensive though, to go down but it’ definitely one of the most efficient and long-lasting route. With this, you can set a VPN on it, and then make your entire network on VPN whenever needed.
You can find those routers available to purchase with built-in VPN support below:
– Netgear Genie
With pricing from Amazon:
- Cisco Systems Gigabit Dual WAN VPN 14 Port Router from Amazon: $169
- Pre Configured Multi-Country VPN Router from Amazon: $26.99
- NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router from Amazon: $148
- VPN Router by Betterspot with Lifetime VPN Service from Amazon: $179
- Linksys LRT214 Gigabit VPN Router from Amazon: $139
- GL.iNet GL-AR150 Mini Travel Router with OpenVPN from Amazon: $24.99
Setup VPN on Router
After selecting your VPN router, you need to set up VPN account on VPN router according to the details sent by. Setting up VPN details on your router is not as difficult as you think, but if you face any difficulty, though. No issues will arise if you have any of the routers from the aforementioned list when setting up VPN on it.
Connect Apple TV to Wireless Router
This is very simple to connect Apple TV to the Wireless router; you just need to select the correct network. Switch on your Apple TV device > go to Settings > General > Network > Configure Wi-Fi > Select Your Wi-Fi Network > Enter Password > Done!
Share via iPhone
While setting up Apple TV VPN using Ethernet you will need your computer that will work as VPN router. Sharing via iPhone is the easiest ways to do this, besides just having a router which has pre-defined VPN built-in, of course. The first port of call here is to connect the iPhone – where your preferred VPN service or solution and then connect your Apple TV to the iPhone’s network.
For that to work correctly, you will need to turn on Personal Hotspot feature on your iPhone by going to Settings > Personal Hotspot and making sure that it is turned into the On position. This option, while easiest, isn’t ideal unless you have an unlimited data package.
Share Via Mac or PC
In order to start with the VPN on Apple TV configuration, first, you need to download a VPN software on your laptop or desktop computer. Connect your device to your WiFi network. Now, attach one end of the Ethernet/LAN cable to your laptop and the other to your Apple TV. This is very simple to what we have above with sharing a VPN service through the iPhone.
Using the same formula, you can get it setup on your Mac or PC. You then need to share that Mac or PC connection with your Apple TV.
For Mac Users:
1. Go to “System Preferences” and select “Sharing Option”.
2. Next to “Internet Sharing” and under that option titled “Share Your Connection from” select “Airport” mode.
3. Now, go to “To computer using” and select “Ethernet” so that your Apple TV device can use internet through your Mac device’s Ethernet/LAN port.
That’s it! Share your Apple TV and take full advantage of your macOS VPN to watch unlimited hours of online streaming via Apple TV or Apple TV 4K.
Third-Party DNS Services
If you are really looking to unblock content which is restricted by location, such as getting access to the United States version of Netflix when you are based in the United Kingdom, then there are plenty of services which eventually let you sign up and point the DNS server on the Apple TV to a provided IP address. Some of many popular options include Unblock-US and UnoTelly. Be aware that this is an optional step to unblock geo-restricted services rather than protect your identity.
These are several ways on how to add or setup a VPN on your Apple TV 4 or Apple TV 4K set-top box without any jailbreak for privacy and security.
You may also like to check out:
- Download: Kodi 17.6 Krypton Version Released, Here’s Information Guide
- HomePod: Order Now For February 9 Launch, Here’s What To Expect
- Download iOS 11.3 Beta 1 IPSW / OTA Update Featuring New Animoji, iMessage Business, More
- Download iOS 11.2.5 Final IPSW Links, OTA Update For Your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch
- Downgrade iOS 11.2.5 To 11.1.2 For Jailbreak Purposes, Is It Possible?
- Jailbreak iOS 11.2.5 / 11.2.2 / 11.2.1 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]
- Jailbreak iOS 11 / 11.1.2 On iPhone X, 8, 7, iPad Using LiberiOS [Updated]